Today in Julian Sanchez news

Today in Julian Sanchez news

Postby Stevo Darkly » 31 May 2011, 22:15

Thursday night (May 26), Julian Sanchez got mugged by three guys in his D.C. neighborhood, apparently on his way home from somewhere.

He initially announced this on Twitter:

@normative (Julian Sanchez) wrote:Jumped by street punks. They didn't get shit. NExt time best bring kryptonite.

lunchstealer Sandy already said this on Twitter, but I wish to repeat this here:

SandyS1 wrote:Respekt!

More details came from this and other subsequent tweets:

@normative (Julian Sanchez) wrote:Attempted robbery. Got tackled, held them off until neighbors came out. Slightly beat up, but basically fine. Thanks for yr concern all.

Photo of Sanchez with "footprint" on forehead:

http://yfrog.com/h3277sgj
Last edited by Stevo Darkly on 01 Jun 2011, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
Stevo Darkly

Re: Today in Julian Sanchez news

Postby Hugh Akston » 31 May 2011, 22:22

Julian, you're a badass.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Lawyers are like nuclear weapons. You have yours because they have theirs, but if you use them everybody loses (except the lawyers)." ~ Warren
Hugh Akston

Postby Jennifer » 31 May 2011, 22:39

Erk. Glad he's okay.

Note to street scum: Julian Sanchez isn't going to fuck you, but but he can damn well fuck you up.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Postby thoreau » 31 May 2011, 23:08

Do we need some Julian Sanchez facts, in the spirit of Chuck Norris facts?

Philosophers recognize four categories of just war theories: jus ad bellum, just in bellum, jus post bellum, and Just Because Julian Sanchez Said So.
The non-aggression principle has a Julian Sanchez exception.
When Julian Sanchez was at NYU, the wrestling team lived in fear of the debate team.
Crime dropped 200% in Adams Morgan when Julian Sanchez moved to DC.
The Pentagon is in Virginia because they're afraid to go into DC as long as Julian Sanchez is there.
if the price is right, the schools are good and the property is otherwise immaculate, I can live with taking a dump and eating a bowl of cereal at the same time.
-Mo

Screw you, I'm tenured!
thoreau

Postby Jennifer » 31 May 2011, 23:16

I was just thinking, "Y'know, it's been an awfully long time since we at Grylliade had a thread that would utterly creep out whichever Reasonoid read it." Feels good, getting back to our roots like this.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Postby Stevo Darkly » 31 May 2011, 23:48

When Julian Sanchez stares into a red-light camera, the camera blinks and looks away.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
Stevo Darkly

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2011, 00:12

I'm sorry, but it's not nearly as good a story as the time Mr. Bailey was mugged at gunpoint walking home from the Dubliner and ended up inviting the robber into his apartment for drinks.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. -- Groucho
D.A. Ridgely

Postby Sandy » 01 Jun 2011, 00:23

Stevo Darkly wrote:lunchstealer already said this on Twitter, but I wish to repeat this here:

lunchstealer wrote:Respekt!

Dude. Our handles aren't even similar.
This is why freedom matters: because a bunch of folks with male genitalia can't even agree on how to piss. - Eric the .5 Bee
Sandy

Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Postby Stevo Darkly » 01 Jun 2011, 01:23

Sandy wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote:lunchstealer already said this on Twitter, but I wish to repeat this here:

SandyS1 wrote:Respekt!

Dude. Our handles aren't even similar.

Shit goddammit! Did I mix you guys up again? I am definitely seeing lunchstealer's avatar in my head.

EDIT: Motherfuck. Fixed now. Sorry about that.
Stevo Darkly

Postby the innominate one » 01 Jun 2011, 03:25

Julian has now earned the right to wear a leather jacket like Nick's.
'it's not like you can put up signs that say "dealer cannot remember combination to safe"'-Shem

"i rub habaneros on my urethra in the morning just to feel something in this cold dead world of sin"-dhex

No shit, Sherlock.-JsubD
the innominate one

Postby Stevo Darkly » 01 Jun 2011, 05:18

Yes. It is part of the initiation to the innermost libertarian circle. First, you have to successfully beat off an attack by statist thugs sent over by the Brookings Institution or the NEA. Then you are entitled to wear a jacket made from the tanned hides of your assailants.
Stevo Darkly

Postby Warren » 01 Jun 2011, 07:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I'm sorry, but it's not nearly as good a story as the time Mr. Bailey was mugged at gunpoint walking home from the Dubliner and ended up inviting the robber into his apartment for drinks.

srsly? link?
Oh no, in a libertarian world the Koch brothers would be rich and powerful! - D.A. Ridgely
Warren

Postby JD » 01 Jun 2011, 08:52

He who fights with a monster must take care lest he become a monster. He who fights with Julian Sanchez must take care lest his skin get tanned and worn as a motherfucking jacket.

Seriously, glad to hear he's OK - that's some scary stuff.
JD

Postby D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2011, 10:58

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:I'm sorry, but it's not nearly as good a story as the time Mr. Bailey was mugged at gunpoint walking home from the Dubliner and ended up inviting the robber into his apartment for drinks.

srsly? link?

Seriously. (And hilariously.) I don't know if he's ever written about it so you'll have to take my word. Not sure he'd want me to go into all the details, but it was a snowy winter night, he'd left the Dubliner both intoxicated and broke and went off toward his apartment at that time, a basement unit in a Capital Hill townhouse. The robber was a kid, maybe 17 or so, Bailey gave him his wallet without objection (knowing it was empty) and kept walking home. A block or two later the kid came back and gave him his wallet back. Too intoxicated to know better, Bailey began to ask the kid questions and they ended up at his apartment (where there was also nothing worth stealing) talking and drinking Bailey's scotch. Apparently, he passed out, waking in the early morning light to find his front door wide open, his wallet on the table and the bottle of scotch gone.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. -- Groucho
D.A. Ridgely

Postby thoreau » 01 Jun 2011, 11:09

I don't know if they have those "Most interesting man in the world" commercials for Dos Equis beer where you are, DAR, but Ron Bailey sounds like a candidate for "Most interesting man in the world."
if the price is right, the schools are good and the property is otherwise immaculate, I can live with taking a dump and eating a bowl of cereal at the same time.
-Mo

Screw you, I'm tenured!
thoreau

Postby Warren » 01 Jun 2011, 11:12

thoreau wrote:I don't know if they have those "Most interesting man in the world" commercials for Dos Equis beer where you are, DAR, but Ron Bailey sounds like a candidate for "Most interesting man in the world."

No for him to be TMIMITW the mugger would have to give Ron his wallet.
Oh no, in a libertarian world the Koch brothers would be rich and powerful! - D.A. Ridgely
Warren

Postby Rachel » 01 Jun 2011, 12:20

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Warren wrote:

srsly? link?

Seriously. (And hilariously.) I don't know if he's ever written about it so you'll have to take my word. Not sure he'd want me to go into all the details, but it was a snowy winter night, he'd left the Dubliner both intoxicated and broke and went off toward his apartment at that time, a basement unit in a Capital Hill townhouse. The robber was a kid, maybe 17 or so, Bailey gave him his wallet without objection (knowing it was empty) and kept walking home. A block or two later the kid came back and gave him his wallet back. Too intoxicated to know better, Bailey began to ask the kid questions and they ended up at his apartment (where there was also nothing worth stealing) talking and drinking Bailey's scotch. Apparently, he passed out, waking in the early morning light to find his front door wide open, his wallet on the table and the bottle of scotch gone.

Ron Bailey sounds pretty cool, but my affections lie with Julian Sanchez. This is because I know he is from Jersey and went to a high school that was my nemesis in Academic Decathlon. I'm always tempted to email him and ask if he did academic decathlon in high school, as if I could be anymore nerdy for having done academic decathlon in the first place. (Yes, I know he's not going to fuck me. Every time I have brought up my semi-crush this has been the first response.)
Decaf is for people who shouldn't be in coffee shops to begin with. - Timothy

Every time I think I cannot possibly love Grylliade more than I already do, you guys prove me wrong - Ellie (Ditto)
Rachel

Postby lunchstealer » 01 Jun 2011, 12:59

Rachel wrote:(Yes, I know he's not going to fuck me. Every time I have brought up my semi-crush this has been the first response.)

I tried to search the first iteration of Grylliade for the original thread, as it was a weird story which then led to some entertaining grylliantics. Alas, the database is dead.
The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word.
-- Sandy

We really need to launch a Kikstarter to buy rifles, flak jackets, and plane tickets for hawks who advocate a continuing American failure in Iraq.
-- Hugh
lunchstealer

Postby Stevo Darkly » 01 Jun 2011, 13:07

Last night I did some Googling (for other things) and it appeared that both Grylliade Mark I and Grylliade Mark II were offline.

EDIT: For example, see what happens when you Google "not going to Pho Cue."
Stevo Darkly

Postby Warren » 01 Jun 2011, 13:18

lunchstealer wrote:
Rachel wrote:(Yes, I know he's not going to fuck me. Every time I have brought up my semi-crush this has been the first response.)

I tried to search the first iteration of Grylliade for the original thread, as it was a weird story which then led to some entertaining grylliantics. Alas, the database is dead.

Really? I thought it was hatched on Hit & Run.
Warren

Postby JD » 01 Jun 2011, 13:29

lunchstealer wrote:

Rude humor: but that was on another server. And besides, the database is dead.
JD

Postby Jennifer » 01 Jun 2011, 13:33

Odd; I was just reading that original "Not gonna fuck you" thread about a week ago.
Jennifer

Postby Jake » 01 Jun 2011, 14:46

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

Really? I thought it was hatched on Hit & Run.

It was a running joke on Hit & Run, but we got "The Rest of the Story" on the old Grylliade.

If I remember correctly, it was Coelacanth* who was the original recipient of non-Sanchez-fucking, then Julian himself showed up to tell us his side of the tale.

(Nutshell version: Coelacanth was at some Reason get-together at a bar, and he came up to where Julian was talking with some people, and said something, and Julian turned around and told him, "I'm not going to fuck you." Coelacanth found that, understandably, both random and off-putting. As Julian explained on Grylliade, though, it was topical to something the group had been talking about earlier, and Julian had thought that Coelacanth had heard the earlier part and would thus understand the context that made such a comment funny.)

* I'm kinda proud of myself for spelling that correctly before checking. My confidence in that spelling was somewhere south of 20%.
"I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to read your graphic novel in the store without purchasing it." -- Warren
Jake

Postby Ellie » 01 Jun 2011, 17:18

Jake wrote:* I'm kinda proud of myself for spelling that correctly before checking. My confidence in that spelling was somewhere south of 20%.

Unfortunately for your pride, the poster in question spelled his username "coelakanth." :geek:
"yes beep boop thank you Flesh-Being" -AR
Ellie

Postby Jake » 01 Jun 2011, 18:06

Ellie wrote:
Jake wrote:* I'm kinda proud of myself for spelling that correctly before checking. My confidence in that spelling was somewhere south of 20%.

Unfortunately for your pride, the poster in question spelled his username "coelakanth." :geek:

Drat!
"I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to read your graphic novel in the store without purchasing it." -- Warren
Jake

Next

Return to General Chatter